Vegetarian Eggs Benedict
Eggs Benedict is a staple on breakfast and brunch menus across America. The classic Benedict made with ham or Canadian bacon, and smothered with buttery hollandaise sauce is only the beginning. From there, you can get as creative as you’d like! This vegetarian eggs Benedict with sautéed asparagus and mushrooms, and a much healthier version of hollandaise sauce, is a delicious way to get your brunch on. If asparagus and mushrooms aren’t your cup of tea, modify the toppings to your heart’s content. Additional ingredient options and their Portion Fix equivalents are included below.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 4 oz. asparagus tips (1-inch pieces) (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice (or white vinegar)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 whole grain English muffins, split, toasted
- ¼ cup Healthy Hollandaise Sauce
- 1 tsp. finely chopped parsley (for garnish; optional)
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes or until mushrooms release liquid.
Add asparagus; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Remove from heat. Set aside.
Place water in medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add lemon juice; reduce heat to maintain a gentle boil.
Break two eggs into a small bowl. Hold bowl close to the water’s surface and slip the eggs, one by one, into the water. Cook until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken, about 5 minutes. Gently lift eggs out of water; keep warm. Repeat, cooking two eggs at a time.
Place English muffins on a serving plate. Evenly top each muffin half with mushroom mixture, an egg, and Hollandaise Sauce. Garnish with parsley if desired; serve immediately.
Vegetarian Eggs Benedict Recipe Variations (for two servings):
- Avocado – Add ¼ avocado. Add ½ blue container equivalent for each serving
- Roasted Red Bell Pepper – Substitute ½ cup roasted red bell pepper for mushrooms or asparagus
- Spinach – Substitute 3 cups raw spinach for mushrooms or asparagus
- Tomato – Substitute 6 slices of tomato for mushrooms or asparagus
- Portobello Mushroom – Substitute 2 grilled portobello mushrooms for the English muffin. Add ½ green container equivalent and eliminate 1 yellow per serving
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 20 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 447 mg
Sodium: 454 mg
Carbohydrates: 36 g
Fiber: 8 g
Sugars: 4 g
Protein: 26 g
1 Grain Carb
Body Beast Portions
Portion Fix Containers